In order to better serve our mission as the preeminent professional association for Georgia political scientists, the Executive Board of the GPSA has established teaching awards designed to recognize teaching excellence via two methods. The award descriptions are as follows:
GPSA Annual Teaching Excellence Award (GATE)
- The GATE Award is designed to recognize excellence in teaching methods as demonstrated at the annual conference in the teaching workshop. Space in the teaching and learning session is limited and proposals are selected based on relevance to the panel theme.
- The recipient of this award will be chosen by a committee headed by the GPSA Teaching and Learning Coordinator. The committee will be made up of past award winners.
- The committee will observe the teaching workshop presentations and make their decision after the conclusion of the event. The criteria include teaching innovation, activity documentation and workshop presentation.
- The winner of the award will be announced at the GPSA Business Meeting on the last day of the conference.
GPSA Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Award (GASOTL) (Formerly the GPSA Emerging Leader in Teaching Award)
- The GASOTL Award is designed to recognize GPSA members who choose to enhance their skills in teaching as part of their faculty development plan. Preference will be given to those faculty members who pursue training in best practices and/or who participate in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) via research and/or publication.
- Eligibility for this award is limited to full-time instructors (temporary or tenure-track), seeking to establish excellence in teaching a part of their career plan.
- The criteria for this award include a letter of self-nomination that demonstrates efforts to improve the teaching craft (workshops, fellowships, conferences, etc.) or SoTL and a letter of support from a member of GPSA. To submit a letter of application for the GASOTL Award, please send your materials in a SINGLE email to the teaching and learning coordinator, Dr. Craig Douglas Albert at email@example.com. Please include GASOTL and your name in the Subject-line!
- Deadline for application for the 2017 GASOTL AWARD is Monday, October 30.
- The recipient of this award will be chosen by a committee headed by the GPSA Teaching and Learning Coordinator. The committee will consist of past award winners. The winner of the award will be announced at the GPSA Business Meeting on the last day of the conference.